Tuesday, November 1, 2005

Introduction to this Blog

[Originally published on Yahoo! 360°]

Welcome to my Star Wars Droid Building Blog. Here I will be keeping a journal of my journey towards my goal of having my very own R2-D2. This journey actually started in April of this year ('05) when I attended the Star Wars Celebration III convention in my home State of Indiana. A club named the "R2-D2 Builders Club" had a room setup with all of their home made droids on display. These guys come from all over the world such as Australia and Europe, although most of them are Americans Image.
Their display was amazing! They had completed R2's, in progress R2's, and everything in between. They even had ILM's official R2-D2 made for filming the prequel trilogy on display as well. Funny thing is the home made R2's looked better, could do more, and were cheaper than the "official" one, hehe. During the four days of the convention, a few of the club members held Droid Building workshops where they told us their building stories, gave construction tips, and answered questions from prospective members. In another room the R2-D2 Droid Builders held a droid race to entertain the public and see who's droid was the fastest. Very fun to watch...especially when droid decided not to do what the driver wanted, hehe.
At the end of it all, I decided to join the R2-D2 Builders Club so I too could build my own R2-D2.

The following blog post will track my effort to build my very own Star Wars droid.

John

No comments: