Sunday, July 13, 2008

Front Logic Display nears completion

You are going to love this. I just finished (mostly) the Front Logic Display LED blinking assembly. I've got pictures and a video of the LED's in action. The only thing I did not take pictures of is how I made the circuit the LED's are on and how they are mounted in the black box. But fear not. I have to make another one of these for the Rear Logic Display so I'll take pictures of that. The only difference between the Front and Rear is the colors.


This picture shows the holes I'm starting to drill. I used a 3/8" drill bit.


A closer view. Note the scratch marks. The point where the lines intersect is where I drill. I used a simple hobby knife to make the marks. They line up with the LED arrangement.


Holes drilled. Not as even as I wanted. Better luck next time I guess.


All the holes are drilled, the LED's are mounted inside, and the plastic tubing is in place. The frosted plastic tubes you see are sitting over each LED inside. This is to diffuse the light from each LED so they don't bleed over into another LED and to keep the fiber optic strands positioned over their respective LED. I'll be using Gorilla Glue to glue the fiber in place.


I'm putting plugs on the wiring coming from the PIC Flasher circuit and the LED box. Each plug has 9 pins (the plugs are just like the 4 pin power plugs in a computer), and each pin is soldered to each wire. Since the PIC Flasher has 8 channels, I used premade Heat-Shrink tubes with numbers printed on them to mark each wire. The green (+) wire I left unmarked and put in the 9th position in the plug. The picture above shows the wire crimped in the pin before I added the solder.

The video below shows the lights in action. I now need to take this setup to the R6's head to plan its mounting inside so I know how to cut and arrange the fiber.

No comments: