Monday, May 31, 2010

Painting Feet continued...

Photobucket Photobucket
Painted the bottom half of the feet today and gave a 2nd coat of paint on the detail parts. Not much else to say.



Thursday, May 27, 2010

Painting Feet

Feet painted Parts panted Paint & Primer

Weather was great today so I was able to start painting the feet. As before, each coat will have to be done in two stages, top and bottom. I started with the top half and the additional parts; Sunday I'll paint the bottom of the foot shells.

I don't believe I mentioned what paint I'm using. For the primer I'm using Rust-Oleum Clean Metal Primer and for the paint I'm using Rust-Oleum Satin White.

If I ever make another droid, I'm going to use a slightly darker shade of primer so can tell when I have painted completely over the primer. Also, the Satin White likes to spit a lot so you have to shake the can very often to avoid this. Another trick to help with the spitting is to sit the can in warm water. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm told it works.

Weather permitting, I'll post more progress on Sunday.


Sunday, May 23, 2010

Paint and convention news

Finally got more priming done of the feet. They are now completely covered in primer.
Feet primed
If the weather is good this Thursday, I'll start using the actual paint.

For the Celebration V, it turns out George Lucas will be attending again. This makes only his third appearance at a Star Wars convention, the last one being Celebration III. Hopefully he can grace the droid builders room with his presence once again.

I know I said the last color scheme was locked in for R6, but I have decided to change it....again.
Final FINAL color choice
It's a darker blue and in different places than R2-D2. Every time I think "R6-C9" I think "blue." I only resisted before because I didn't want to chance him being mistaken for R2-D2. But with this design, I think it'll be ok.

One more thing. I might rebuild the head. After rechecking some things, I found I made the top a half-inch too big. Not that there's an official R6 design to base that off of, but the plans the club is using suggest that measurement. It's still something I'm only thinking about. If I decide to remake it, I'll wait until after the convention.

That's it for now.


Thursday, May 6, 2010

Priming Feet

Today I started working towards getting the feet painted. The feet were made by a machine shop so there was still some grease and other crud on them. I used a general purpose degreaser to clean them. Once that was done, I used a metal primer paint and coated the inside of the feet and one side of the additional pieces. For the small pieces with screws, I wrapped small pieces of painter's tape to protect the screw threads. It'll take only two hours before I can move them, and then a total of 48 hours before I can apply primer to the remaining area of the pieces. Once everything has been completely covered, I can apply the real paint.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket