Today I humbly acknowledge I jumped the gun ordering the chain-driven scooter wheels & motors. When I received the chain version, I discovered the chains where the same length as the belts and the wheel axle was about the same as well (though the wheel itself was slimmer). So I got on the Club's forum and pleaded for enlightenment. In a short amount of time I was told to use a shorter belt (was given a size to try) and to replace the axle. I was also given a scooter drive bracket template to use to build my own.
Why didn't I ask for help in the first place? Stupid, stupid, stupid!
So with a pair of smaller belts on order, 399mm instead of the 447mm I bought, I now will try to return all the chain-driven scooter parts. If I can't return them, I should be able to sell them to someone in the club.
So today I went to the shop to try making some modifications to my belt wheels.
Here is a close-up of the brake drum on the wheel hub. The original Razor E100 belt wheel didn't have this part so I decided to try to cut it off.
Here is that long axle, now off the wheel. It was being held on by the two inner nuts. Once I took off the nuts the axle came right off. In it's place I'll put a shorter bolt of similar diameter.
The wheel without the axle. The brake drum I discovered is screwed on. I discovered this after I cut it off with my Dremel. Will note for the other wheel.
With the brake drum off I used my Dremel to cut off the extra 1/2" of hub. Now the hub is flush with the bearing.
I noticed something blocking the axle hole from inside the wheel so I removed the three bolts and the wheel hub became two pieces. Inside was a loose spacer the axle goes through.
Next time I'll do the same to the other wheel and build a bracket prototype out of 1/8" MDF using the design given to me. If this design works for me I'll order aluminum tubing for the final product.